Birth Story

I arrived to my 41 week appointment on Friday September 14th at 10:00 a.m. I first had an ultrasound where I was told that my pockets of placenta fluid we’re measuring well which was reassuring but that my fluid was at, what they consider a “normal low” for 41 weeks. Even with their “reassurance” I still felt super worried. I then had a non-stress test where Emma looked perfectly fine. And then last but not least I was checked for dilation and was at 1.5 cm and 50% effaced. All of this combined made me a favorable candidate to be induced. Which I felt both happy and frustrated about because I was hoping (unlike my son) she’d come on her own. I was told to go home and rest, and then to arrive at the hospital that night for 5 p.m.

When my husband and I arrived we were told we would have to be in a small triage room on a stretcher because there were no rooms available at all. I was hooked up to monitors, ate some crackers and watched the movie Practical Magic on my phone, where only after 3 hours later, I was told that there were still no rooms, my contractions were mild and Emma looked great on the monitor. So at that point the midwife suggested that we should go home get some rest and come back the next morning (Saturday) at 10 a.m. to be induced. So we listened and got home around 8:30 p.m. Nine hours later, Saturday morning around 5 a.m.

I was having really painful contractions, they woke me out of a dead sleep. I woke my husband up and told him I couldn’t wait until 10, we needed to go to the hospital. I called the moms place and let them know that we were coming. We got to the hospital around 6 a.m. where we were told still no rooms so that I would have to be in triage again. I was then hooked up to monitors and checked again for dilation where at this point I was 4 cm dilated/50% effaced and going into labor on my own with no induction which made me really happy because I did not want to be induced again.

After hours of painful contractions getting worse and worse, sitting on an exercise ball to relieve some pressure and after 8 hours ... EIGHT HOURS of being on a stretcher in a triage room.. I was finally moved to my own private room at 2:30 p.m. where at this point my contractions were unbearable and the pain was the most intense pain I’ve ever felt in my entire life. I never once felt pushed or forced to consider drugs or an epidural, my entire team supported the fact that I wanted to try my absolute best to have a natural labor. The doctor came in to check me again around 3:30 p.m. where she said I was still between 4 and 5 cm dilated but now 75% effaced. She suggested that we get things moving and have this baby, so since my water wasn’t breaking on it’s own she broke my water around 3:30. Around 4:20 p.m. I was checked again where I was 10 cm, 100% effaced and it was time to have a baby! I pushed for 23 minutes and Emma Jane arrived at 4:43 p.m. beautifully in my arms. I did not have an epidural and even though it was the most intense and painful experience of my life, I wouldn’t go back and do it any differently. I had the most amazing support team, including my husband who was amazing and by my side for both births.

I don’t share this story to make any mom or woman feel like an epidural is a bad choice or that you’re any less of a mom or woman for choosing an epidural or women who have to have c-sections...That is FAR from my intent. Every woman.. every MOTHER who gives birth in ANY way is a fucking ROCKSTAR because it is hard work! I was induced with my son and chose an epidural and for my daughter I wasn’t induced and chose no epidural, and I wouldn’t go back in time to change either decisions or birthing plans! I am so lucky to be their mom and that’s all that matters to me. But I do hope my story inspires other women, to not be afraid to chase that fear or goal. If you want a natural labor and there’s no medical reason why you can’t have a natural birth, then totally go for it! I promise you the reward at the end.. is so worth it! ️ Also the nursing student who was in the room witnessing my birth story those entire 10 hours, told me after Emma was born, with a tear in her eye, that it was her birthday and she was really hoping Emma would come on her birthday. What a special moment! if you’ve made it this far thanks for reading!